Community Council Minutes
September 13, 2017
3:10 to 4:45 pm

 

Attendees: Stacie Jorgensen, Jana Wheelwright, Eric Markworth, Sara Kippen, Lindsey Patterson, Becca Crookston, Karlee Fryer, Melissa Dahle, Val Christensen and Wyatt Olsen

 

Review and Approval of Minutes from August Meeting

            Stacie Jorgensen-motioned

            Melissa Dahle-2nd motion

 

Budget Updates: At this point $7,097.81 of the budget has been spent.  $6,690.00 of that amount covered the cost for the PLC (Professional Learning Community) conference that will be attended by team leads at the end of September.  Eric was not sure what the $300 under the teacher category was so he will look into that.

 

STEM Specialist Aide:  The STEM specialist aide has been hired, and started today, September 13th.  Her name is Amanda Christian.  She will be working the am hours 8:40am-11:40am, which will help grades: kindergarten, 1st, 4th, and 5th.  Her salary will come from the trust land funds allocated to STEM specialist aide.  There were not funds within the school budgets for funding the other half of the day.

 

Our Schools Now Report:  Melissa said there is not a whole lot going on right now with this.  As of right now there will be no signatures happening in our area.  It is looking like there will be enough support for this, that door to door signatures will not need to be happening.

 

STEM Team Update: Val reported on this as a member of the STEM Team.  Val, Karlee, Sara and Eric are part of the STEM team.  Eric will be purchasing a 3-D printer with some of the money provided for STEM supplies from the trust land funds.  The school will be having STEM Fridays, and a once a month school wide STEM challenge.  The October challenge will be a pumpkin drop.  The STEM committee is looking for ways to make a greenhouse happen, a program called Pennies for Patients through Primacy Children’s as a STEM Service Learning opportunity and for partnerships with businesses.  Val shared that he feels like this team has done a good job to stop talking about being a STEM school, and are acting on ways to bring more STEM opportunities to Woodruff.

 

Review and Edit of By-Laws:  We spent the rest of the meeting reading through and editing the by-laws for Woodruff Community Council.  Notes were made of the changes and Liz will update them for the next meeting.  We will review the changes and vote on the by-laws our next meeting.

 

Public Input: We talked about the drop off and pick up times.  This year drop off seems to be smoother, because there is a group being dropped off for breakfast at 7:45am, then the bus comes, and then another round of drop off for the students coming for the start of school.  We talked about making signs that will say please pull forward.

 

Items for Next Meeting: We will look at Parent Involvement Policy and the Website Suggestion in October.

 

Next Meeting:  Wednesday, October 11th at 3:15pm